Pages

Sunday 24 March 2013

What's On My Work Table

This is my little corner of the world where I like to work.  I usally listen to music or podcasts on the computer directly behind me, or movies on the tv in the next room.  I can't do much painting here though, as the table doesn't go down flat, and there is carpeting on the floor (I'm a bit messy).  So I move to the kitchen island when I have a painting project then cross my fingers that I don't spill big time.
 
 
 
Below is what's on my work table right now.  It's the last assignment from Carla Sonheim's Faces 101 online class (see post here for more pictures and info about the class).  I hadn't quite finished the class when my next online class with Alisa Burke started.  I was so excited to start the second class that I put this last assignment aside.  Then I got sidetracked from Alisa's class with our vacation.  When I came back I thought to myself, "Self.  Finish up Carla's class.  Alisa's class is not going anywhere." (thank goodness for unlimited access!)



The assignment is to make a series of 10 drawings using my favorite medium/technique from the class.  I loved doing these drawings with an ultra fine black sharpie and shading with a black watercolor crayon.  I spread the watercolor crayon with my finger dipped in water, so I can't get too fussy or perfect with it.  These guys took about 20-25 minutes each to do. 

I often think my drawing is so-o-o-o bad when I'm working on it.  You know that little voice in your head that throws all the negative gobbly-gook at you?  It trys to get you to stop and go wash the dishes or read a book or watch the next episode of The Big Bang Theory?  Well, I've been working hard on ignoring it.  I tell it to take a hike 'cause I'm finishing the picture no matter what he says.  Then I can really get into enjoying the process and I'm usually pretty happy with the end result.  Guess what I discovered?  I LOVE drawing chins.  How weird is that?  Chins are so expressive.

I've got 4 more of these to do to complete the series.  Then I will dive back into Alisa's Whimsey and Wonder online class.  Online classes rock!  Especially for people like me living in rural areas.  I do hope to go to an art retreat this year though.  Nothing beats hanging out with other artists-swapping stories, ideas, techniques, just being with people who are as passionate about art as you are.  But the online community and the classes are super great to keep a person going - lots of support and inspiration out there.

Thanks for dropping by.  Until next time...

xox Leah

3 comments :

  1. I never thought about how expressive chins are! Now I'm going to notice and think about it every time I paint a face! These are all great, I love the guy in glasses especially, he has such character!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were lots of fun to do. I can't wait to do some more chins! Thanks Shelly. ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your faces look great, Leah! Sounds like you are a busy girl these days. I love taking a peek into your studio and seeing what you're up to. Happy creating!

    ReplyDelete