Pages

Wednesday 19 November 2014

An Angel Came

Recently I have been reading about some of the Masters like Henri Matisse, Vincent Van Gogh and Pablo Picasso.  I love looking at their work and learning about their lives.  One thing that struck me as I examined the photos of the art work is the use of black outlines.  I thought that was a 21st century phenomenon.  Go figure!  I have lots to learn about art.


Olga Merson
Painted by Henri Matisse
1911

I decided to try my hand at an image with the black outlines.  It is not nearly as  expressive with depth as Henri's (or nearly as good!), but I'm pretty happy with my first attempt.  









An Angel in the House

How sweet it were, if without feeble fright,
Or dying of the dreadful beauteous sight,
An angel came to us, and we could bear
To see him issue from the silent air
At evening in our room, and bend on ours 
His divine eyes, and bring us from his bowers
News of dead friends, and children who have never 
Been dead indeed, --as we shall know forever.
Alas! We think not what we daily see 
About our hearths, --angels that are to be,
Or may be if they will, and we prepare
Their souls and ours to meet in happy air; --
A child, a friend, a wife whose soft heart sings
In unison with ours, breeding its future wings.
                                                 James Henry Leigh Hunt






No comments :

Post a Comment